Sharilyn's Place

our life … blog style

Posted by sharilyn On December - 23 - 2014

So, apparently one of the things I’ve gotten really good at over the past couple of years is hanging on to candles that are past their prime. You know, candles like these:

And that’s not all of them. I had 10 candles like this, easily. Probably closer to 15. Think of the space wasted with holding on to candles like this! One of our cabinets was overflowing with them. I finally decided enough was enough.

I remembered seeing an idea on Pinterest a long time ago about how to upcycle old candles into new candles. Perfect.

All you need is a ton of old candles, a jar, and a package of wicks.

I bought these at Hobby Lobby. The wicks were $2.79 for a pack of 10, and the jar was $3.29. Not bad.

You’ll want to simmer water over medium heat, add your candle, and let the wax melt. Here’s one of mine in action:

Obviously the more wax there is the longer it’ll take, but I don’t think I had any that took over 10 minutes to completely melt.

Once the wax is melted, remove the remaining wick (I used kitchen tongs), place the new wick in your jar, and carefully pour in the melted wax. In order to make sure the wick was centered and stayed in place, I poured a tiny amount of wax in first, placed the wick and held it for a few seconds, and then poured in the remaining wax.

You want to let the wax cool before you add the next scent in order to have the layered look. Sometimes I would put the cooling wax that was in the jar inside the fridge to help speed up the process. I only had to do that a couple of times though; usually it had cooled and hardened by the time the next layer of wax was ready to be added.

Here’s the wax as it was hardening. I thought it looked so cool.

I ended up with three new candles when all was said and done! I only bought one jar, but I ended up re-using two of the jars I had just emptied. Once you pour the wax out, it’s really easy to wipe out anything remaining in the bottom. You can get the jars really clean by using Goo Gone or something similar to remove labels and then running them through the dishwasher (thanks, Greg!). After that, good as new.

Here are the three that I made:

It was a really fun project and was a lot easier than I thought it would be. If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it goes!
Categories: Pinterest

Leave a Reply